Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Upper Cherry Creek

Ever since I hiked into Cherry Creek four years ago I have wanted to go back and paddle it. Not until this year has everything fallen into place and I have actually made it back there. Upper Cherry Creek is a three day trip with the first day being a 12 mile hike with your kayak and overnight gear up the hill to the river. I was pretty nervous about the hike. Being a female I am not as strong as most kayakers and hike ins and portaging is where I notice that. However I wasn’t going to let that stop me. After arriving at the trail head at 1 am the night before we managed to get our gear ready and start the hike at 10 am. Just in time for the midday heat!
DSCF1686 The Trail. Photo – Tim Collins
The hike was going well and I was surprised at how fast I seemed to be moving when I noticed a log cabin. I knew this wasn’t a good thing as there hadn’t been a log cabin last time I walked in there. I spent sometime trying to find the trail with no success. So not one to back track I decided to charge ahead and find my own way to the river. Luckily after paddling across a lake somewhere above cherry creek I hiked around a dome and found my way to the put in. (If you ever see a cabin on your way into Cherry Creek just go right) I was pleased to find that I hadn’t lost too much time on my detour and I wasn’t the last one to make it to the river.
P1040688 The hike into the Granite Planet. Photo – Allison
The water was lower than what we would have liked but there was still plenty enough to paddle. After spending the night at the put in we packed our boats and headed down stream.
DSC_0877 Laura on the Put In Slide. Photo – Eric
The first part of the day was very mellow at the water level but it is such an amazing place and the rapids were still fun so we were stoked to be there.
P1040776
One of my Favourite Places. Photo – Allison
Then we arrived at Cherry Bomb Gorge. I was definitely feeling a little nervous at this point as Cherry Bomb Gorge is something that I had been thinking about running for years. There’s something about dropping into a steep narrow gorge with the only exit being down stream that tends to make kayakers a little nervous. But at this point there was no turning back so down into the gorge we went.
DSCF1750 Me flying off Cherry Bomb. Photo – Tim Collins
P1040806
Looking back into Cherry Bomb Gorge. Photo – Allison
DSC_0929 
Tim on Jedi Slide. Photo – Eric
DSC_0985
Gareth boofing his way to Flintstone Camp
Photo – Eric
It was a good feeling to arrive at camp having finally run Cherry Bomb. Flintstone camp is an amazing place and with some good friends there’s not anywhere else I’d rather be.
IMG_1436 Tim and I getting some more granite slides in. Photo – Laura Farrell
IMG_1424
Home Sweet Home for the night. Photo – Laura
The next day we woke up and hiked back up to run the section before camp again before heading downstream to yet more quality rapids.
IMG_8012 Routing our way back to camp. Photo – Dee Harrington
IMG_1450 Me boofing into Double Pothole. Photo – Laura Farrell
DSC_1022 Laura and Gareth in the Waterfall Gorge. Photo – Eric
DSC_1030 
Laura Farrell firing up Kiwi in a Pocket. Photo – Eric
Upper Cherry Creek is classic California Creeking all the way to the lake. It was an awesome way to end my California season before heading back to work. One thing is for sure though I will be back!
IMG_7933 Photo – Dee Harrington

No comments:

Post a Comment